Monday, April 10, 2017

A New Season and a New Life

Reflection for Maundy Thursday

by Pearl Quick


“Anyone who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit,
and anyone who takes care of a master will be honored.” 

(Proverbs 27:18, NRSV)

 
God is never more present for me than when I step on a soft patch of land. I’ve been farming for as long as I can remember, but I haven’t always been a believer. When I came to Christ three years ago, my first authentic experience of the presence of God was after I had weeded a large section of land, alone, in the heat, for hours. It was then, with sweat on my face, dirt under my fingernails, and a pile of weeds beside me that I began to weep. It was the first time I had a visceral reaction to participating in such a menial task. I could physically feel the presence of God. I am called to tend, to harvest, to weed, and to plant new life from the life that once was. I am no more humbled, in awe, and fully present than when I am on a farm, early morning and alone with God. This Proverb speaks to the humbling nature that is tending land with a life of its own. We, as farmers, are at the whim of nature, and we celebrate death knowing that on a farm nothing ever actually dies but prepares the way for a new season and a new life.


Prayer: Jesus, bringer, and giver of all life thank you for showing us true love in the dirt, in death and life fulfilled. I pray we always remember the ever approaching cycle that claims us all. I pray that we stay ever present, ever growing, and ever humbled in the presence of your love story to us. Jesus, creator, all mighty and perfect God.Thank you for calling us all to tend not only land but Relationships according to your will. We lift all this praise in your name. Amen.
 

Pearl Quick is a first-year Dual Degree, Divinity/Youth Ministry student at Princeton Theological Seminary. She was born and raised on an Army Base and a farm in North Carolina. Currently, she is working with Princeton Seminary’s working 17 acre Farm called ‘Farminary.’ She plans on becoming an ordained Pastor and starting a Farm Church for young, inner-city youth of color to teach healing, joy, and the beauty of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment