Friday, February 23, 2018

Devotional for 2nd Sunday of Lent

Second Sunday Reflection
Two by Two in the Midst of Wolves
by Nancy Corson Carter

“After this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to come. And he said to them, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.’” Luke 10: 1-3

This passage from Luke is included among the events and teachings recorded about Jesus when he has “set his face” to go to Jerusalem. Jesus sends messengers ahead to prepare the way but is met by unwilling villagers and would-be helpers’ excuses.

Then “the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to come.” As I read this text, I want to see myself in one of the faithful duos marching out to bring in the Lord’s plentiful harvest. But I know how scary this path may be to travel.

Those wolves may feed upon my own fearfulness and the ways in which I make excuses not to follow Jesus when he calls. In eco-justice terms, the wolves may be polluters, those who claim others’ land and resources as their own (e.g. Doctrine of Discovery usurpers), climate change deniers—all whose acts and intentions desecrate the wonder of God’s creation and impede the harvest of his love.

Why two by two? Common sense suggests numerous reasons: safety, companionship, the multiplied impact of two witnesses to the presence of the kingdom.  In my own ministry, I learn over and over how much, “in the midst of wolves,” I need my faithful friends, my congregation, and groups of kindred spirits like Presbyterians for Earth Care to keep up my courage and my determination.

Prayer:  Holy God, I thank you for so many wonderful partners in ministry in my life—I name them before you. Let me trust that I am not alone, that you are always with me, Emmanuel. Amen.


Nancy Corson Carter, Ph.D., a founding member of the Shalem Society for Contemplative Leadership, leads retreats and workshops in eco-spirituality and literature. She facilitates an Earth Care Committee at the Church of Reconciliation, an accredited PC(USA) Earth Care Congregation in Chapel Hill, NC, and is a publishing writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment