Dear Friends of Earth Care,
With your support, Presbyterians for Earthcare will remain committed to Caring for God's earth and its people in 2015. We will continue to honor and worship God by working within the PC(USA), our communities, our country, and around the world seeking justice for the oppressed peoples and ecosystems of the earth.
Are you a Presbyterians for Earth Care member or do you want to become a part of the flourishing faith and environment connection? PEC membership renewals are due every year on Earth Day, April 22. If you aren't yet a member, you can join now. First year memberships start at $25.
In 2014, PEC members along with the PEC Steering Committee accomplished the following:
- Maintained an active earth care presence at the 2014 General Assembly.
- Worked with Fossil Free PC(USA) to bring a fossil fuels divestment overture before the General Assembly of the PC(USA).
- Advocated for 3 more environmental overtures before the GA.
- Worked to support indigenous fishing rights in the Pacific NW and to stop the development of the largest coal exporting terminal in the US.
- Marched in the Peoples Climate March in New York City.
- Supported a regional PEC conference in Alaska focused on climate change.
- Maintained contact with our members via regional representatives.
And there is more to come! 2015 will see continuing work in environmental education, advocacy, and spirituality. Highlights will include:
- Down-to-Earth Advocacy and Action, PEC's 2015 national conference, September 15-18 at Montreat Conference Center, Montreat, NC.
- A visioning retreat for young adults, led by Eco-Stewards leaders, to be held in Montana in June.
- Support for Fossil Free PC(USA) on another divestment overture.
- Help with writing a Fossil Free PC(USA) curriculum on fossil fuel divestment for churches.
- Advocacy for clean water (Fracking, Clean Water Bill, etc.).
- Countless other educational events and actions to protect the earth.
Thank you for your prayers and works on behalf of the earth and its peoples. Thank you for your support of PEC.
Yours in Christ,
Diane Waddell, Moderator