Saturday, March 10, 2018

Devotional for 4th Sunday of Lent

Fourth Sunday Reflection
We Might Not Be Perfect, 
But We Can Be Better
by Joy Williams

“We know that all things work together for good for those who love God,
who are called according to his purpose.”  Romans 8:28

I cannot pretend that I walk with Jesus as closely as I would like for any reader to think. I can say, however, that Jesus is a significant part of why I get up in the morning and try to be a better person than yesterday. I strive, but am not perfect. I have broken relationships all around me, from family, friends, old employers—and as much as I want to say that I am OK with this level of brokenness, I am not. I hurt. One of my favorite bible passages that calls me back into communion with God is Romans 8. There I find that no matter what passes me by, it will be for my good (Romans 8:28). I also find that as I groan for healed relationships in my life, the earth groans for a reconciliation back into God’s perfect order. I can only hope that my choices, although modest and humble compared to those of greater riches, but maybe in excess compared to those of less resources, will both edify others, care for the earth, and bring healing to me. In spite of my personal hardships, the only option is to move forward, that is not the question. The question, rather, is will I move forward with joy. And to that, I say yes. Paul tells us to rejoice, and rejoice always. So as I figure out how to repair the brokenness found in my relationships, in the earth, and in myself, I do so with one choice at a time, starting with God’s love for me, and the redemption that came through the cross.

Prayer: Dear Gracious and Merciful Creator, thank you for loving us even when we don’t love ourselves, each other, or your creation fully. Forgive us, for we know not what we do. Have mercy on us, for we need that too. Give us your grace to realize where we fall short, and give us your Holy Spirit to teach us to move forward. Offer your mighty hand to soften our hearts, so we are willing to humble ourselves and pray.


Joy Williams is a Master of Divinity Student at Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, NC. There she is turning a family home into a living and learning homestead, for herself to serve as a reminder of what it means to live simply, off the land, and striving in harmony with God, the earth, others, and oneself.



No comments:

Post a Comment