Thursday, September 8, 2016

Poetry and Art about Water

Roundness
by Nancy Corson Carter


Nancy Corson Carter is a member of PEC's EARTH team, 
and she lives in Chapel Hill, NC.

I found this rock
on the shore,
its pleasing roundness
created by
how many tides?

Like all humans, I’ve
come from roundness
formed in waters
of an inland sea:
my mother’s womb.

Around and around
the Earth spins
all things together:
our earth/air/fire/water
sacred sphere
blessed by God’s
surrounding love.

detail of blue with grace (crayon) by abby mohaupt.

Breathing Water
by Nancy Corson Carter

Breathing in
I inhale the O2
of phytoplankton’s
watery exhalation;

Breathing out
I exhale the CO2
of their inhalation.

Life is so beautifully
interwoven!
Wherever I am,
I can stop a moment
and rejoice in
our shared breath.
                                                
Note: Phytoplankton are photosynthesizing microscopic organisms that inhabit the upper sunlit layer of almost all oceans and bodies of fresh water. They are agents for "primary production," the creation of organic compounds from carbon dioxide dissolved in the water, a process that sustains the aquatic food web.

It is estimated that between 50% and 85% of the world's oxygen is produced via phytoplankton photosynthesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment