Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Palm Sunday Reflection on Creation

Presbyterians for Earth Care Lenten Reflections 2014
Advocating for Environmental and Social Justice

Isaiah 58:1 Shout out, do not hold back! Lift up your voice like a trumpet! 

 

Isaiah 58:8: Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly; your vindicator shall go before you, the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

I have always loved the dawn. Growing up within a few minutes of the ocean in New Jersey was like having a constant and open invitation from God to experience the glory of the first bright light streaming across the horizon. I went often to enjoy the sunrise, regardless of time of year. I loved sitting in the quiet morning, watching the darkness transition to light, watching the myriad colors move across the sky, and finally, suddenly, watching the bright orange sun peek over the edge of the ocean.

This scripture makes me think of Matthew 5:14: "You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid." God created light, and created it beautiful. God also created humans, to be a light and shine as brightly and beautifully as the first streams of dawn at the beach. I know humans are a part of creation, formed reflecting God’s image, but I really enjoy when we are compared to other glorious aspects of creation. It really drives the point home for me that we are connected to earth and should be caring for it. It’s a good reminder to let my light, which is a reflection of God’s own light, shine forth, with God behind me in all I do.

Will you pray with me?
Loving God, help us to remember to shine Your light in this world, as new and beautiful as the first light of every morning. Amen.


Colleen Earp is currently serving as a Young Adult Volunteer in South Louisiana, focusing on wetlands conservation and advocacy. Her bias towards sunrises over sunsets comes from growing up on the east coast in New Jersey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment